Dr. Klinghardt on dental toxicity
& alternative (plastic, gold, etc.) & most compatible filling materials
The following article is excerpted from Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt's website www.klinghardtacademy.com (with emphases, notes and edits added by Healing Teeth Naturally).
While it is quite technical and partially not an easy read for medical laypersons, it goes to illustrate the amazingly wide range of toxic materials we can harbour in our teeth, jaws and adjacent structures such as the brain, due to toxic dental treatments we have received as well as due to other noxious environmental impacts.
Dr. Klinghardt also addresses the question of which "alternative" filling materials are likely to be least harmful and/or most biocompatible.
The Dental Component
by Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt, MD, PhD
2. The Toxicity Issue
All dental materials are potentially toxic with a broad individual variety of reactions. Mercury and tin stand out as neurotoxins. Mercury has the ability to destroy or damage the axonal transport system inside of each nerve (most affected are unmyelinated nerves: c-fibers or pain nerves and the autonomic nerves) and traps basically all other environmental toxins.
Therefore, mercury potentizes the damage done by all other environmental toxins.
Evidence will be presented from the latest research of top German toxicologist Max Daunderer, M.D., that the entire jaw bone (upper and lower jaw) has become for most of us a toxic waste dump for the following materials:
2. Solvents (see also A.R.T. manual) (mostly lower jaw)
3. Formaldehyde (mostly lower jaw)
4. Amalgam (mercury, tin, copper, silver) (jawbone and maxillary sinus)
5. Palladium (from gold crowns) (mostly upper jaw)
6. All other dental materials to a lesser degree.
Through biopsies Daunderer found that virtually all inhaled toxins are stored in the jaw bone in the areas adjacent to the root tips.
Metals and toxins leave characteristic changes in the jaw bone:
1. Amalgam on the dental roots: spiral-like brightness around the roots; white slice-like brightness between the molar roots
2. Amalgam-lake: soft, nebulous wide level at the bottom of the maxillary sinus
3. Gold on the roots: bright, hard strips around the roots
4. Gold-lake: bright, hard level at the bottom of the maxillary sinus
5. Palladium on the roots: the outline of the root appears to be hazy, as if the root is dissolving.
6. Palladium-lake: one or more horizontal stripes at the bottom of the maxillary sinus, often underneath the amalgam level
7. Other metals: aluminum, lead, bismuth etc. leave soft white dots around the roots or the neck of the tooth.
8. Inhaled toxins: Daunderer was able to determine the age of the toxin exposure according to how deep the toxin has spread from the supplying artery into the jaw bone. If the toxin reaches all the way to the cortical bone, the inhalation dates back more than 30 years.
9. Formaldehyde: Pinhead-sized white dots, which are perfectly round in the area of the angle of the jaw, stripe-like at the edge of the jaw bone.
10. Mercury: soft, white nebulous level at the bottom of the sinus. In extreme cases also as soft white spots in the ascending part of the mandible [bone comprising the lower jaw].
11. Palladium: inhaled palladium comes e.g. from car-catalytic converters. It settles at the bottom of the sinus as rough, thin line or several lines.
12. Platinum: from car catalytic converters, settles as soft line at the bottom of the sinus, especially if the patient is already mercury-toxic.
13. Solvents: inhaled solvents form dark round circular deposits - like a lake - in the ascending part of the mandible. The age can be assessed by location.
14. Pesticides: PCP, Lindan etc. look like the solvent-lakes, but have a sharp, white margin.
15. Smoking: outlines the blood vessels in the jaw.
These are Daunderer’s findings, which clarify a statement I have made for years: cavitations in the jaw bone are a symptom, not the cause of disease.
Daunderer recommends to not close the surgical site, but leave a gauze strip in place. The jaw bone detoxes itself massively through the open wound (he found up to 20,000 ppb of Hg [mercury] in the gauze after 24 hours).
Amalgam in the brain
1. Putamen : right side: manic behavior, left side: depression. Both sides even: manic depression
If there is amalgam in the brain stem, Vitamin B12, C and F and psychotropic medications (Prozac etc.) can potentiate the amalgam damage!
2. Pallidum: located on the cranial base, responsible for continuity of muscular movements. Most common symptom: Intention-Tremor. Children of smoking mothers are predisposed to deposit their mercury here (damage from carbon monoxide).
3. Spinal cord: most common symptom: kidney failure. Best kidney test: alpha-1- microglobulin in serum or urine. Typical and often overlooked in MS. Most often reversible with DMPS etc.
Neck musculature ("Trigger Points")
causes neck pain and headaches, torticollis. Always reversible with treatment.
Without allergy to a specific metal, the metal will not be stored in the brain!
(He estimates that 90% of the population are allergic to and therefore brain-toxic with metals.)
In order to detox the brain of metals, the metal allergies have to be identified and treated before, during and after the detox program.
(NAET or the McCoombs or Phillips program are effective.)
Other storage sites in the brain:
1. Pituitary: inhaled metals (dentists) are stored in the anterior pituitary, dental metals (amalgam, palladium) in the posterior pituitary.
2. Brain stem: all metals and other toxins stored here lead to multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). Metals usually get here first and trap the other toxins.
3. Cortex: metals here lead to atrophy.
4. Lateral ventricles: every amalgam carrier and child of a mother who was an amalgam carrier shows here dotted metal deposits the size of pin-heads. These are referred to as u.b.os in radiology (unknown brown objects - white matter lesions).
Daunderer showed that these patients are predisposed to develop MS if their fillings are removed without the appropriate care. The lesions however disappear if the amalgam is removed properly.
5. Other interesting facts: Daunderer performed serial biopsies on malignant tumors in patients that were amalgam carriers, and predictably found amalgam in the tumor. The concentration is highest in the center of the tumor (malignant melanoma, brain cancer, bladder, stomach, colon and tongue cancer, exactly as Omura did with his bi-digital O-ring test, a variation of A.R.T.).
Daunderer also found the following other toxins concentrated in the center of these tumors: other metals - formaldehyde - solvents.
6. Clinical pearls from Daunderer:
|Symptom||Main toxin||Secondary toxin|
|vision problems||Amalgam (Hg, tin)||solvents|
Lead: old water pipes (soldering)
Dioxin: passive smoking, paper mills, garbage burning plants
Formaldehyde: cosmetics, lumber, disinfectants, root canals
Solvents: paint, body care products
Pesticides: treated wood, carpets
1. All plastics give off small molecules, which are estrogen analogues. Worst are the dental sealants used in children.
3. Each material placed in the mouth or anywhere else in the body is a "resonator", forcing the system to respond and to adapt to the electro-magnetic properties.
4. Gold, platinum and palladium are neurotoxins, highly allergenic and should not be used in the mouth [also see further down at "Melisa test"].
I believe that I have seen enough evidence from German studies that the most compatible material currently used in dentistry is ART-glass (both filling, crown and bridge material) and carboxylate cement.
Bonding agents should only be used,if an argon laser can be used as a curing light to form long molecules, which are less allergenic.
Addendum by Healing Teeth Naturally
According to the book "Die Heilkunst von Morgen" by Erika Herbst, the safest and best material now available is Cercon®, a zirconium-dioxide-based material developed by DeguDent GmbH, Hanau, Germany (see cercon-smart-ceramics.de). Cercon® can be used for crowns and bridges spanning up to 6 teeth.
The current N.T.9 approach to detox
A regimen using segmental therapy, ganglion injections, DMPS, chlorella, cilantro and garlic will be discussed in detail. The injection techniques are outlined in NT A and B.
The Melisa Test from Sweden: Memory Lymphocyte Immuno Stimulation Assay - the most advanced test for allergies towards dental materials
There are 2 varieties:
1. Morphology test: the lymphocytes are observed under the microscope while they are exposed to a dilution of the toxin.
2. Thymidin test: radioactive thymidin is used to demonstrate allergies of the type IV.
It is this test that has exposed gold, platinum, palladium and other dental metals as possible haptens. The mechanism will be explained during the seminar. It makes these metals from here on unacceptable as dental materials except in particular well chosen circumstances.
Placing gold in a patient’s mouth is playing Russian roulette with the patient’s health. The only test that currently correlates well with the MELISA test is ART, which is reliable, fast and inexpensive. The blood tests from Colorado do not correlate well with the MELISA test and should be considered from here on only as adjunctive tests.
Compare the related page
Notes by Healing Teeth Naturally
1 For a graphic demonstration, see Video: how mercury causes brain fibre damage (neurodegeneration).
4 Cavitation: infection in the jaw bone (more details)
6 DMPS is a sulphuric substance which binds heavy metals, for further explanations see for instance Dr. med. Dietrich Klinghardt M.D., Ph.D., On Effective Holistic Heavy Metal Detoxification.
7 Dr. Yoshiaki Omura, MD, ScD is medical research director of the Heart Disease Research Foundation and founder/president of the International College of Acupuncture and Electro-Therapeutics as well as of the International Bi-Digital O-Ring Test Medical Association.
11 Hapten (also incomplete or partial antigen) = a substance capable of reacting with a specific antibody but unable to trigger the formation of antibodies without being bound to a molecule such as a carrier protein.
If you value this content and wish to support my work (every dollar is gratefully appreciated), please donate: