Dr. Gerard F. Judd's dental research and recommendations
Advice on tooth and gum healing
Dr. Gerard F. Judd was, among other things, a retired professor emeritus of chemistry, dental researcher and author of GOOD TEETH FROM BIRTH TO DEATH. The following are two excerpts and summaries from his former websites (where previously one could read even more details, incl. a FAQ, a list of Dr. Judd's 'educational books, reports and videotapes to save your teeth' and a 'problems and solutions grid to solve all your teeth-related problems').
Goodbye to Tooth Cavities!
Gum infection is now ended!
by Dr. Gerard F. Judd, Ph.D., Chemistry and Fluoride Researcher
May 5, 2001
I now place in everyone's hand the complete answer to tooth cavities.
Following this procedure there will not be one more cavity, one more gingivitis case, or one more fluorosed, brittle, cracked tooth in the world.
Bad teeth in Ireland, Canada, the USA, Britain, Australia and New Zealand will now be curbed. The 55-year fight with fluoride promoters (dentists) in these countries is over since research now establishes for certain that fluoride makes the teeth WORSE and not better (refs 1,2,3). My book, Good Teeth, Birth to Death lays out in no uncertain terms all the detail to achieve my claims.
I have talked to thousands of people about their teeth, many of whom have perfect teeth. In all those cases of perfect teeth, the practice of rinsing while eating has been the reason, and not fluoride. I am convinced that perfect teeth have little or nothing to do with genetics. The best way to have perfect teeth besides staying away from greedy or incompetent dentists is to pursue the following behavior:
Comment by Healing Teeth Naturally: Compare 10 dentists - 10 diagnoses.
1. Rinse acids off the teeth during eating (ref 4).
2. Brush the teeth with bar soap (ref 5).
3. Take calcium pills with vitamin D daily (ref 6).
4. Take monosodium phosphate daily (ref 7).
5. Take freshly made sodium ascorbate daily for gum connections to the teeth (ref 8).
6. Dispense with the worry that bacteria harm teeth: THEY CANNOT (ref 9).
7. Dispense with the worry that sugar destroys teeth. I find sugar has little or nothing to do with cavities (ref 10).
8. Avoid all fluoride products. They destroy teeth, unravel enzymes and cause 113 ailments (ref 11). [Compare On the harmful effects of fluoridation of water and toothpaste on teeth and body and Toothpaste - a hazard to dental and bodily health?.]
My 117-page book, Good Teeth, Birth to Death (Call 1-623-412-3955 for a copy delivered to you after which you will return $15) covers the perfect teeth subject thoroughly including the fluoride controversy. It is a product of thousands of hours of research. The index alone is 41 pages.
By drinking a sip of water along with the acid during eating, the acid reacts chemically with water immediately to form hydronium ion and thus the enamel is saved. One can use milk or coffee for the same purpose, since they are both non-acidic.
Some harmful acids (with pH <4) which are tart to the taste and attack the enamel include lemons, grapefruit, oranges, pineapple, kiwi fruit, tomatoes, vinegar, cider, vitamin C (especially chewable) and stomach acid [compare Foods to handle with caution]. The lower the pH, the more rapidly the acids attack. Body acid (extremely weak) is insignificant in this process.
Non-acid foods such as beans, bread and potatoes have no action on teeth. Worry about such foods is over. The only worry about non-acid foods is if they will crack the teeth due to their hardness. Chewing ice, unpopped corn kernels, extremely hard nuts, bones or other hard objects is not smart, since teeth do have a breaking strength.
Reenamelization is necessary on a daily basis because the enamel leaches slightly with water as well as the bones over decades leading to holey bones and holey teeth even in the absence of acid attack. Without reenamelization, we could never have good teeth.
Bacteria inoffensive to teeth
Witness the billions of animal and human remains in the earth which have lost all the flesh and are reduced to tooth enamel and bones. It is quite evident that the teeth have been through bacterial contact but are unaffected. The same with human teeth. They cannot be affected by bacteria, because there is no carbon or hydrogen in enamel, which bacteria subsist on. Study of streptococc[us] mutans as a source of so-called "decay" is a waste of government funding donated to dental organization.
Comment by Healing Teeth Naturally: Bacteria may not directly attack the enamel but they eat the food rests and excrete acids which in turn dissolve the enamel. Regarding the question whether (particularly) sugar and white flour lead to acid production in the mouth, see Drs. Steinman & Leonora's research (scroll to "Sugar and other cariogenic foods do not produce more bacterial acids than healthy food").
Fluoride in the gels used (inappropriately) to harden the enamel is extremely toxic at a concentration of 13,000 ppm (1.3%). Keith Kantor of McMinneville Oregon was killed in the dentist's chair 3 years ago by swallowing half a teaspoon of the gel. His brother nearly died from the same treatment, but was saved by having calcium gluconate administered to him.
Dr. Albert Schatz, Nobelist who discovered streptomycin, found several decades ago that sharks' teeth with their excessive fluoride would dissolve just as readily in citric acid as ordinary non-fluoridated teeth, laying to rest the hypothesis that fluoride would stop cavities. The dental people (American Dental Association) pushed aside this discovery and Dr. Schatz' discoveries regarding excessive baby mortalities caused by fluoridation in Chili, South America as insignificant.
They returned his mail 3x unopened and would not deal with him.
Three kidney dialysis patients at the University of Chicago Medical School were killed 3 years ago when nurses used unpurified Chicago tap water for dialysis. Chicago water has 2 ppm fluoride in it during the winter.
Fluoridated water is lethal to dialysis patients. Fluoride is also very harmful to the kidneys of ordinary people.
One can look up the lethal dose of a large number of chemicals all the way from botulinum and snake poison toxins to sugar, a non-toxin, on pages 57 and 58 of my book Good Teeth, Birth to Death. It is interesting that the lethal dosage of fluoride compound for a 50 kg man is 2.5 mg (fluoroacetic acid), and 400 mg for arsenic oxide. Numerous people, animals and fish on earth, especially in the U.S., have been killed by fluoride, but very few, if any, by arsenic.
Toothpaste companies now are required to put warning signs on tubes so children will not consume enough of the 1000 ppm (.1%) material to make them sick or cause death. This requirement arises out of lawsuits in which children were poisoned by fluoride-containing toothpaste.
The best available data indicates about 120,000 cancer patients are killed annually because of fluoride in their drinking water. These include patients with every type of cancer. The dramatic increase of cancer cases in the US in recent times can probably be laid directly on the shoulders of the dentists due to their tireless energies in converting city councils to put fluoride in the water for "the children's teeth." They are able to do this because of large government grants.
It is irrational to believe just "anything" in the environment causes cancer. The unique character of fluoride ion in destroying enzymes deserves attention.
Comment by Healing Teeth Naturally: compare On Fluoride and Fluoridation Causing/Contributing To Cancer & Other Diseases.
(ref 1) J Pub Health Dentistry, Nov 1993. This article states we have a tooth decay epidemic in the US since 42% of people over 65 years of age have no natural teeth, 44-year-olds have an average of 30 decays, 17-year-olds have an average of 11 decays, the blacks and the poor are twice as bad as this and the American Indians have four times the tooth trouble. American Indians have free dental care, and have had since almost the beginning of fluoridation. If fluoride helped prevent cavities at a rate of 80% per 15 years as the proponents of fluoride claimed in the beginning of the early studies of the forties, US residents would now have less than 2 cavities per person (my calculation).
(ref 2) In MediZine, V6 #2, April of 2000, the American Dental Association again states that a dental epidemic exists and 42% of those over 65 years of age and 25% of those over 44 years of age have no natural teeth. They admit their ignorance as to why.
(ref 3) 4 curves representing a total of 480,000 students and covering over 30 years of study indicate that the increasing concentration of fluoride in drinking water from 0 to 1 ppm increases the cavities 7, 43, 22 and 10% in Japan, Tucson, India and the US (see GTBD, pp 44,45,46 and 49). In other words, fluoridation about doubles cavitation from the normal (my calculation). Numerous studies verify the fact that fluoridation of water increases cavities.
(ref 4) Tooth enamel (essentially calcium phosphate) reacts with all acids to form cavities (see any chemistry text dealing with solubilities). The proton of the acid pulls the phosphate right out of the enamel, and fast.
(ref 5) Renormalization of the teeth occurs when they are clean. All toothpastes make a barrier of glycerine on the teeth which would require 20 rinses to get it off. A good solution for clean teeth, which I have used for 5 years, is bar soap. Wet the brush, swipe the bar two or three times with it, then brush the teeth thoroughly and the gums gently. Rinse with water three or four times. All oils are washed off the teeth and the gums are disinfected. The bacteria are killed by the soap.
Comments by Healing Teeth Naturally: Dr. Judd is possibly somewhat wrong in these statements. It appears that generally, normal household soap does not kill bacteria. Rather, the friction of brushing with soap breaks down the germ wall and the ability of soap to emulsify allows microbes to be rinsed away with water. If this question is of interest to you, please do a search for more detailed information. Regarding Dr Judd's claim re glycerin and using "any bar soap", compare Tooth remineralisation & demineralisation, saliva & pH (scroll to "Dental health prerequisite number 7").
The teeth are then ready for remineralization with calcium and phosphate in the diet. The enzyme adenosine diphosphatase delivers phosphate to the enamel surface. Do not use liquid soaps. Their different composition is harmful to the protoplasm.
(ref 6) Calcium (1.2 g if it is the only source) with vitamin D can be obtained from Walgreens at a very reasonable price of about 5 cents per pill. Other required vitamin and mineral requirements of the body can be found on page 56 of Good Teeth, Birth to Death. Vitamin D helps to deliver calcium to its needed site. All acid-soluble calcium compounds such as calcium carbonate or calcium citrate are suitable with D. It goes without saying that calcium is necessary in building calcium phosphate teeth.
(ref 7) Monosodium phosphate ($20./lb delivered, food grade from 1-800-344-2047) is the best supplement for phosphate since it is very pure and highly soluble in water. Simply take about 1/5 teaspoon (1 gram), dissolve it in 1 inch of water in less than a minute, then fill up the glass and drink it daily. This takes care of all the bones, teeth, DNA, RNA and at least 30 phosphate-containing enzymes which are listed on page 53 of my Good Teeth, Birth to Death book.
Our bodies run on enzymes and we are hard put to lose any of them. Even the brain requires them. Phosphate also regulates body pH.
(ref 8) Vitamin C powder at Trader Joes is $9.99/lb. Put 1 level tsp (4 g) in a glass, add 1/2 tsp Arm and Hammer baking soda, add 1 inch of water, let fizz, dilute to 8 oz and drink. The compound made here is fresh sodium ascorbate. This is about 1000 x as soluble as C, and is more reactive towards antibody and connective tissue construction and viral destruction. Thus the gums knit back to the teeth, avoiding any kind of oral surgery for "receding gums."
Receding gums are nothing but gum pockets caused by toothpaste and especially fluoride, which severs all proteins because of its highly negative character. Fluoride is the smallest negative ion on earth, and consequently is the most intensely negative particle on earth. As such, fluoride breaks the positive hydrogen bonds, which hold the coils together, in proteins and enzymes.
(ref 9) We know that bacteria have nothing to do with loss of enamel.
(ref 10) Sugars (fructose, glucose and sucrose) were found in my laboratory studies to be unable to dissolve calcium phosphate to any extent, even in hot water solution. The reason for this is that the chelation process of the sugar towards teeth is slow because of the large size of the molecule and perhaps for the particular shape of the chelate formed.
Sugars are not the cause of tooth cavities to any great extent, but still it will do no harm to rinse them off the teeth after consuming candy, especially the sticky variety. The adhering barrier will prevent reenamelization.
Comment by Healing Teeth Naturally: In addition to feeding acid-secreting bacteria, table sugar also seems to work "against teeth" via a systemic effect, see the ground-breaking research done by Drs. Steinman and Leonora.
(ref 11) Fluoride at very low levels destroys at least 66 out of 83 enzymes (p. 53, GTBD) by uncoupling the hydrogen bond linkage between the enzyme coils. Fluoride causes 113 known ailments (p. 54, GTBD). Ten of these were established through double blind studies, which although noteworthy, may be of no more significance than the individual diagnoses.
Letter from Gerard F. Judd , Ph. D. , Chemist, Researcher for 18 years and Professor of Chemistry for 33 yrs.
(2 dates attributed, January 13, 2004 - 00:48 and April 2002. This seems to be Dr. Judd's "scientific, low-cost 32-point summation to end cavities, cracked teeth and gum trouble, effective self-administered dental care and HOW TO end government dental subsidies explained in layman's terms".)
Dear Government Executive and Employee:
We can all stop spending billions for American dental work and research. Let me tell you why: I have learned the real causes of dental cavities and gum infection. People, including you, will now be able to take care of their own dentistry with insignificant cost, and end with perfect teeth. Cavities and gum infections are ended!
A great amount of REPUTABLE DENTAL RESEARCH proves the following:
1. Tooth cavities will be ended simply by rinsing acids off the teeth. ACIDS ALONE EAT THE ENAMEL. There would be no cavities in the world if all people rinsed acids from their teeth promptly. Just sip water, milk or other liquid while eating. Water reacts with acids.
2. Foods and drinks, other than those containing acids, have no action on tooth enamel. SUGARS HAVE NO ACTION ON THE ENAMEL.
Comment by Healing Teeth Naturally: As already mentioned, food rests (including simple carbohydrates stemming from the breakdown of complex carbohydrates via ptyalin action in the mouth) can serve as food for bacteria which in their turn create acids as part of their metabolism. These acids then do attack (leach out minerals from) the teeth.
3. Bacteria cannot damage the enamel (calcium hydroxy phosphate). There is no such thing as decay of the enamel since bacteria require carbon and hydrogen to live. Billions of human and animal remains show teeth and bones are resistant to earth-bound organisms.
Comment by Healing Teeth Naturally: As before, bacteria may not directly attack the enamel but they eat the food rests and excrete acids which in turn can dissolve the enamel.
4. Teeth reenamelize when clean. TO MAKE TEETH CLEAN ONE BRUSHES WITH ANY BAR SOAP. Soap washes off in just 2 rinses. What about toothpastes? Glycerine in all toothpastes is so sticky that it takes 27 washes to get it off. Teeth brushed with any toothpaste are coated with a film and CANNOT PROPERLY REENAMELIZE.
Comment by Healing Teeth Naturally:
Compare Toothpaste and Toothpaste alternatives, Barbara Brennan and Edgar Cayce for instance recommend baking soda and (sea) salt. Regarding Dr Judd's claim re glycerin and using "any bar soap", compare Tooth remineralisation & demineralisation, saliva & pH (scroll to "Dental health prerequisite number 7").
5. Taking calcium and phosphate in the diet results in reenamelization of the teeth, but only when they are clean. Bar soap does a perfect job in cleaning the surface. The enamel thickens and becomes less sensitive. Adenosine diphosphatase furnishes phosphate to teeth.
6. Gums are disinfected by brushing with any bar soap. Not only bacteria and viruses are destroyed promptly by small amounts of soap in water, but also white flies and aphids. Gardeners: Spray 1 tsp of dishwashing soap in 1 gallon of water to kill white flies and aphids.
7. Plaque, a poorly formed crystal stuck to the bottom of the enamel, is prevented and eventually removed by brushing with bar soap. Dental procedures to get the badly formed crystals off dig holes through the enamel. These cavities catch food and cause gum infection.
8. Prevention of plaque retards gum pockets. Gum pockets are formed as the plaque pushes the gums away from the teeth. Gum pockets, from 1 to 8 mm deep, are also formed by FLUORIDE, which severs the protein molecules adhering the gums to the teeth. SOAP PREVENTS GINGIVITIS caused by bacteria lodged in the gum pockets.
9. VITAMIN C AND PHOSPHATE help knit the gums back to the teeth. Pressing against the gums with fingers forces adhesive materials from the gums onto the teeth, which helps the process. Abscesses can be offset by holding Cepacol (14% alcohol) in the mouth 5 minutes.
10. Receding gum surgery will end when the gum pockets cease. The very mention of the procedure, which involves transferring flesh from the roof of the mouth to the excised area of the gums, is a heinous and useless procedure which ought to pass into oblivion.
Comment by Healing Teeth Naturally: Compare the dramatic cure testimonials featured at Self-healing gum (periodontal) pockets (periodontitis) incl. Brushing with bar soap cures severe gum disease (of 20 years standing with loss of teeth) and my deep gum pocket healing testimonial based on using a plaque-removing electric brush and dietary improvements.
11. Removal of fluoride from drinking water, pastes or gels saves the enzyme adenosine diphosphatase so it can deliver phosphate to calcium at the tooth surface, resulting in a beautiful, semi-flexible enamel.
12. As stated above, the gums can be reconnected to the teeth by taking vitamin C (ascorbic acid) (1 tsp) with Arm and Hammer baking soda (1/2 tsp) in 1 inch of water, letting it fizz and then diluting to 1/2 to 1 cup with water, then drinking. The resulting SODIUM ASCORBATE is non-acid, very pure and a thousand times more soluble than vitamin C. Sodium ascorbate is more reactive than ascorbic acid (C) in building connective tissue and antibody structures and more effective in killing some viruses and bacteria.
13. Receding gums and plaque are ended when soap is used for brushing and vitamin C is taken daily as described in #12.
Comment by Healing Teeth Naturally: Compare this man's testimonial who healed his gum disease with massive doses of Vitamin C.
14. 30% of American youths ages 8-10 have no cavities. 100% of Ugandan youths ages 6-10 have no cavities. What does this tell us?
15. The reason Ugandan youths have 3 times better teeth than American youths is because they do not consume as many acid foods, have no fluoride in their drinking water, have regular meals rather than sipping acid drinks all day, have more calcium and phosphate in their diet, and have fewer dentists to work on their teeth.
16. Dental literature says 42% of Americans over 65 have no natural teeth, while 25% of those over 43 have none.
17. Dental literature says Americans age 43 average 32 cavities, those age 17 have 13 cavities, blacks and poverty stricken (without calcium and phosphate) have twice this and the native Americans have four times this amount. The Native American plight can be blamed on their poor nutrition, excessive fluoridation, and free but improper dental care.
18. If fluoridation were effective in preventing cavities, Native Americans would have the least cavities. They have had forced fluoridation for approximately 62 years.
19. Fluoride in water at 1 part per million INCREASED tooth cavities in four large reliable studies 7, 22, 45 and 10% (average 21%). The reason for these increases has to do with the fact that adenosine diphosphatase is destroyed by fluoride and CALCIUM FLUORIDE which slips into the enamel, is alien to the tooth composite and makes the enamel weak, brittle and discolored.
20. The health of American teeth will increase to be very nearly perfect if the regimen of water rinsing, soap brushing and taking calcium, phosphate and vitamin C in the diet is implemented.
21. Fortunately, we now know the current teeth-perfecting protocol of dentistry with fluoridation is flawed. If the early estimates of 80% tooth improvement in childrens' teeth by age 13 were true, each American would now have less than one cavity. That is far from true. The teeth in America are in a sorry state, and at the present time are getting worse.
22. Numerous top scientists over the past 60 years have discarded the theory that fluoride helps teeth, or is a nutrient helpful to man.
23. To avoid fluoride is to prevent more than 114 ailments listed with references in a book "Good Teeth Birth to Death" by Gerard F. Judd , Ph. D. These 114 medical side effects extend all the way from cancer down to headaches caused by 1 ppm fluoride in the water. Thirteen of these side effects are proved by a double blind study on 60 patients by 12 physicians, 1 pharmacist and 1 attorney.
24. The mechanism for destruction of enzymes by fluoride has been proven by x-ray studies. Hydrogen bonds are broken by fluoride.
25. Fluoride is the smallest negative particle on the face of the earth. Since the fluoride particles are so small and so intensely negative, they connect with the hydrogen bonds holding the enzyme coils in place and ruin every enzyme molecule at very low concentration, around 1-3 ppm. These enzymes are often 3,000 or more times the small size of the fluoride. The effect is ruinous.
26. To avoid fluoride is to prevent the destruction of 83 enzymes listed with references in Good Teeth, Birth to Death, by Gerard F. Judd , Ph. D.. Fluoride is a severe biological poison. Being intensely negative, it unlatches positive hydrogen bonds in enzymes AND proteins.
27. It is fortunate we have learned fluoride is a nerve poison. Fluoride causes cavities. There is not the slightest doubt.
28. Methylmercury formed from amalgams in the body is deadly. It causes brain disease. Fillings made of quartzite and epoxy are a safe substitute.
29. Fluoride harms the economy by making people purchase other than city water to avoid it. It also harms the economy by making people dependent on undependable professions that know nothing about it. Ignorance about fluoride and what it does is world-wide.
30. Keep the teeth moist. Teeth that are dry crack. If you chew ice, teeth may crumble. Teeth do have a breaking strength.
31. LOOK IN YOUR MOUTH. Tell the dentist(s) what you want done and get several bids for examination and work. Save your fortunes.
We now know we can cancel the green light given by Harry Truman with the help of Congress to subsidize dentistry. Billions of dollars that are being wasted in this regard (Public Law 755, June 24,1948) can now be returned to the taxpayers.
I hope you will put this information in the hands of your Congress persons so they and we may alert the newspapers, radio and TV stations, magazines, and all other news media as well as their friends, families, and associates about this giant leap in dental technology.
I ask for your feedback on this letter and I would also like you to ask for feedback from the ones you contact. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
Respectfully yours, Gerard F. Judd , Ph. D. Professor Emeritus, Chemistry
ADDRESSEE: Please mall a copy of this letter to your Congressperson, asking what they are going to do about this terrible incompetence and waste in dentistry and government spending. Thanking you, I am Gerard F. Judd.
Partial Credentials of Dr Judd - October 24, 2002
6615 W Lupine, Glendale AZ 85304
1. Ph. D. from Purdue University.
2. Researcher in industry: 18 yrs.
3. Prof of chemistry: 33 yrs; retired professor emeritus.
4. Fluoride laboratory studies: Linde Air (atomic energy), Purdue (phosphates and fluoroorganics), Wright Field (fluoroorganics), Phoenix College (rapid analysis for fluoride in water): thirteen years.
5. Author, revised: Good Teeth Birth to Death, 117 pp. Jan 1999.
6. Author, revised: Chemistry, Its Uses In Everyday Life, 305 pp. July 1997.
7. Author, Workbook, Self Quizzes and Laboratory Assignments for Chemistry, Its Uses In Everyday Life, 110 pgs. July 16 1997.
8. Author, Chemical Hygiene Plan, 89 pp, 4-23-1998.
9. Speaker, writer, radio host, bookseller, age 79, continuing October 24, 2002.
10. Fighter for truth in practical uses of chemistry.
11. Author of Affidavit in Support of Summary Judgment Against Fluoride.
12. Originator of „the Alcohol Cure" for viruses.
Dr. Gerard F. Judd, Ph.D.
Chemistry Researcher, Professor, Author, and Educator
6615 West Lupine
Glendale, Arizona 85304-3136
1-623-412-3955 (Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.)